Access to rendered iCub camera image

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to feed a small stimulus to my model, to stick to the experimental conditions of a behavioural experiment we do in our lab (small bars that spans 0.666 degrees at a distance of 0.75 m of the observer).

To do that, I changed the resolution of the iCub right eye camera to 1280*960. When running the experiment, if I check the output of the right eye camera, the rendered image looks very nice, the stimulus is detected with no problem. However, if I turn off the rendering on the camera viewer, the stimulus is barely noticeable, and all blurred.

I expected that for a 1280*960 pixels camera, the rendered image and the camera output would be at least very similar, but that’s not the case at all.

So my question is: does anyone knows how to have access to the rendered image, to feed it to my neural network?

Thanks for the help!
Alban

Hi Alban,

There are two types of camera images displayed in the browser:

• the threejs rendering of the camera image (WebGL, this is the default)
  • the internal Ogre3D rendering done by Gazebo (OpenGL, the actual image sent by Gazebo through a topic)

You can toggle these 2 renderings by means the small camera icon at the top left-hand corner of the camera window (“Environment Rendering” window).

You can only access the second rendering in a programmatic way. If I understand your question correctly, you would like to access the first one.

If you need the two renderings to really look the same, please fill a feature request.

Best regards,
Luc

I see… Actually the rendered input is ok for my stimulus if I make it a bit larger.

Another problem I had with the rendered input is that it is hard to relate distances on the image array with distances in the real world, but I could figure out a nice formula that does a nice conversion.

Thanks!
Alban