[Beginner] How do I get started with HBP collabs?

Hello,

I am a young researcher in neuroinformatics and I don’t have that much experience with brain research as most of the people on this forum. I have mostly worked with open source EEG / MEG datasets or Kaggle datasets. I have used python and Matlab toolboxes for signal processing and machine learning. I was selected for 3rd HBP School where I was supposed to use MIP for one of the lectures. However, due to some unfortunate reasons, I had to back out of the school at the very last minute.

I have explored HBP platforms and as far as I understand, it is a way for researchers to work together on data, algorithms or models. I am confused about how can I contribute or make the best use of platforms?
I don’t really have my own datasets or any research collabs. Can someone please help me figure it out? If I want to develop tools for HBP, how can I get started with that?

It depends largely on what your area of interest is.

In lieu of someone more neuroscientific replying to you question, let me summarise the activities in the HBP at a very high level with the following list:

1. Stategic Data Collection
  2. Analysis and feature extraction for various data modalities: image/volume data, activity data (EEG, fMRI, electrophysiology, etc)
  3. Tools for analysis and feature extaction of data modalities above.
  4. Construction and simulation of brain inspired models at various scales: population, point neuron, morphologically detailed neuron and subcellular.
  5. Brain inspired neuromorphic hardware
  6. reproducible, collaborative scientific software services
  7. Virtual laboratories for neurobotics simulation allowing you to attach simulated brain models to simulated robots and run then in simulated environments.

If you pick one of the above primary areas of interest, I can suggest next steps.

Thankyou, Jeffery! I think my areas of interest would be 2 and 3 from the activities above.