Display a custom texture (or video/gif) on a virtual screen, in the NRP

Hello everyone,

does anyone know any way of displaying an image file (png, jpg, whatever), or a video (may be the second one is out of reach) on, for example, one of the screens of the virtual lab? I would like to display some crowding stimuli that are not simple shapes.

Thanks for any help!

Best,
Alban

Dynamically Loading Images into the Environment

Actually, if you’re interested, this has already been asked: Loading images files dynamically into environment, resulting in a feature request: https://bitbucket.org/hbpneurorobotics/neurorobotics-platform/issues/28/loading-images-files-dynamically-into

Alban

Dear Alban,

We are aware of this pending request that we take very seriously. Though, due to work overload, we could not take in this sprint, though it was initially planned.
For sure it will be in the Februar sprint.

Cheers,
Axel (product owner)

Cool!

I understand, and for me this feature is not urgent at all.

Thank for the support and information,
Alban

Hey Axel,

Thank you for the feedback on the feature. I just wanted to add that the feature is planned to play a big role in my bachelor thesis program, which should be handed in on the 15th of March. Therefore if anything would get in the way of it being released in February (which I of course would understand), I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me as fast as you know, so I could react to it as good as possible.

Thank you very much,

Julius.

Hello everyone,

In the meantime, would it be possible to modify for example the HBP poster, and replace the main texture by my custom .jpg ?

I tried to create a new poster in $HBP/Models/poster_models/, by copying an existing subfolder (copying $HBP/Models/poster_models/viz_poster_2 to $HBP/Models/poster_models/viz_poster_custom).

Then I replaced the .jpg referencend in $HBP/Models/poster_models/viz_poster_custom/meshes/vis_poster_custom.dae by my own image.

Then I created the needed symlinks for this new model.

When I launch the experiment (which contains my new poster model), the new poster is there, but it still display the original image it had as viz_poster_2. So I guess I forgot to modifiy something in the new folder. Or it may also be that I should do this completely differently.

I have no experience in blender :confused:

Could someone give me some help about that?

Thanks!
Cheers,
Alban

Hi Alban,

Sorry for latency here due to vacation of most developers.
The feature is currently being implemented and it shouldn’t take long to pass through to deployment.

Though, if you want to force add your poster to the models, use the create-symlinks.sh script to create the links, don’t do by hands, since there are several places where the model should be linked to.

Cheers,
Axel

Dear Alban,

FYI, we are finishing the feature right now and it will be published in the next deployment (8-12 october).

Cheers,
Axel

Great!
This feature will be very useful to me.
Cheers,
Alban

Dear Alban,

As a heads-up you will only have to upload a texture in your personal storage, and then the textures will be loaded automatically and you can use them as a material from a state machine. We don’t have a tutorial yet, but I can explain how it works and maybe you can figure out of a nice tutorial!

Regards,
Manos