From pyNN.nest to Spynnaker

Hi everyone,

I am trying to implement a brain model in Spynnaker (to control a simulated robot in the platform) based on a pyNN.nest model that is already working in the NRP. The issue here is that I have native neuron types and native synapse types, and I am not sure how to proceed with this.

Do I have to implement these models for spynnaker to be able to use them in the NRP? or is there any shortcut to be able to use them?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

so you have a pyNN network written for example in NEST which has some special synapses and neurons?

I think the rule of thumb is: pyNN only ‘configures’ the spyNNaker network. Hence, if you want to add projections that use certain weight distributions or connectivity rules you should be able to do this in pyNN directly.

If you really need custom models (custom synapse dynamics e.g. special learning synapses not covered yet by spynnaker) you most likely need to implement them on C level. Fortunately, the Manchester group has some handbook chapters on that (links see below). If you have really synapses that utilizes global information, I think it can become quickly very tricky. Then you might consider to contact the spyNNaker developers directly to help you out.

You should first check this list http://neuralensemble.org/docs/PyNN/0.8/api_reference.html to see if what is already there

Also consider this:

Hi!

Thanks for your message and sorry for the delay.

Yes, I have a new neuron type that I would like to add to my spinnaker installation.

I have been following the different tutorials from the Manchester group and I wanted to test the sPyNNaker8NewModelTemplate example. When I was trying to compile it, it failed.

It seems that the problem is that it is trying to find this file FrontEndCommon.mk (which is localted in spinnaker/spinnaker_tools/make) but is going to spinnaker/make which does not exist.

If you look at the guide (the one explaining the integrated installation of spinnaker in the NRP), I believe the problem is in this line:

export SPINN_DIRS=$HBP/spinnaker

Which should be something like this instead:

export SPINN_DIRS=$HBP/spinnaker/spinnaker_tools

Kind regards,

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

did it work in the end? I did not try to reproduce to compile custom models but e.g. spinnaker_tools/make/app.make tries indeed to include $(SPINN_DIRS)/make/spinnaker_tools.mk which means that you are right.

If it worked please let us know, then I will adjust the guide

Thank you!

Hi,

It worked for me :smiley:

Kind regards,

Carlos