Install NRP on other Linux distros

Hi,

Is it at all possible to install the NRP from source on other Linux distributions, for example on CentOS?

Thanks!

Hi,

Short answer no, since ROS is supported mostly for Ubuntu. Gazebo also has limited support for other distros. One could however try to install everything from source on other distros, but this is not currently supported.

Best,
Manos

Hi Manos,

I am at Flock to Fedora right now in Budapest and I see ROS Kinetic, Gazebo 9.5 and NEST 2.16 all available in Fedora 30. I see some additonal Node.js/nginx requirements and some user-scripts I wasn’t able to grab from bitbucket but it looks like all the major dependencies are available as RPMs.

I realize this can be different from supporting another distro/packages but very happy to get additonal dependencies packaged properly on Fedora.

Cheers,

-Morgan

Hi Morgan,

Thanks for the answer and for the investigation. Sounds very promising, if you can make it work and write down the steps we will be happy to include them in our guide.

Best,
Manos

Hi Manos,

Let me know if it would make sense to target NRP-2.3 if that will be the version supporting Gazebo 9. Ankur Sinha @ NeuroFedora has packaged NEST-2.16 and -2.18. Which one will be used for NRP-2.3?

I am currently looking at ROS Kinetic because someone has done the work for it already. Will that continue to be supported for NRP-2.3? rospack, rospack-devel, and ros-release are already availableas stable packages. On the Python side, I actually already see python3-rosdep, -rospkg, -rosdistro, -rosinstall, and rosinstall_generator. The rest of ROS can be added with COPR which is like a user maintained PPA.

I am looking into modifications to support NRP’s expected directory structure but that could be easily overridden if necessary. Just let me know where I could direct some developement questions like this.

Is the plan to release NRP-2.3 before ROScon?

Cheers,

-Morgan

Dear Morgan,

NRP 2.3 will support Ubuntu 18, ROS-Melodic, Nest 2.18 and of course Gazebo 9. The release will be some time in october. so should happen before ROSCon.

Best regards,
Axel