Opensim integration in the NRP

Hey guys,
is there a tutorial or some documentation on how to use the opensim integration?
and or details of the architecture?

thanks,
camilo

Hello, Camilo!

Even if this question is already a bit older:
There currently is some documentation for the architecture (in the Confluence Wiki of the NRP), but there is no official written user-oriented documentation (e. g. step-by-step tutorial) yet.
I will raise this question again in the dev team, and see in which format we shall provide instructions on the setup and usage of simulations that make use of OpenSim and its features in the NRP (and maybe with Gazebo in general).

With best regards,
Fabian

Hey Fabian,

Is there a Tutorial by now?
It would help me a lot ;).

Regards,
Kevin

Hello, Kevin!

May I point you to this upcoming addition to the experiments collection: https://bitbucket.org/hbpneurorobotics/experiments/pull-requests/12/nrrplt-0000-opensim-muscle-tutorial

For more detailed information (including the timeframe), I’ll have to refer you to the NRP dev team.

Thank you very much!
With best regards,
Fabian

Hey Fabian,

thank you for leading me to that Pull Request. Unfortunately, I think that’s not really what I was searching for.

But I would have a question regarding that blog post that seems to be from you :
OpenSim support blog post

I saw that you were able to use the “OpenSim Plugin” in gazebo. Is it possible to get the source of what you showed there?

Because I think that would help me to understand how I could use that plugin for my own project.

Regards,
Kevin

Hello, Kevin!

Sorry for the very late reply, the end of 2018 was a very busy time for me.
The blog post you quoted was indeed written by me, as were parts of the OpenSim plugin for Gazebo itself.
The OpenSim support for Gazebo is NRP-specific at the moment, i. e. it is included as part of the Gazebo fork the NRP uses:

Other repositories from the NRP that are relevant for using the Gazebo-fork with the OpenSim plugin stand-alone are:
sdformat, simbody, opensim and GazeboRosPackages

You are not the first person to ask me about the OpenSim support; time permitting, I will see if I can port the OpenSim plugin to the official Gazebo version and submit a pull request for it to the OSRF, as well as provide some documentation on how to create your own models and simulation setups with OpenSim in Gazebo.

Thank you very much!
With best regards,
Fabian