Parallel optimisation on HPC cluster, is it possible?

Does anyone have experience or hints towards running parallel NRP optimisations on an HPC cluster? Is it possible?

My application is neuromusculoskeletal optimisation of biped locomotion (Geyer & Herr 2010 style reflexes). I have previously used OpenSim and MPI for doing it, but would like to port the system to NRP. However, previously a single optimisation took around 8 hours on 80 cores and I doubt that NRP can do this faster. For this reason it may be a deal breaker if I am not able to run it on a cluster so I would rather verify now than later.

It seems @alexander_ugent has managed somewhat but it also seemed to be rather unsupported?

All hints or help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

• Jakob

Dear Jakob,

Simulations do not distribute over HPC clusters yet. Meaning that one simulation will run on a plain VM server without Nest or Gazebo distributing.
Though, what is possible, and what @alexander_ugent does, is run many simulations in parallel over a set of servers, using our so-called “virtual coach”.
This might help you in case you want to parallelize the batch of simulations and not the simulation itself.
Axel

Hi Axel
Thanks for the reply and it sounds good with Virtual Coach. I will look into that!
What I need is a way to run many independent simulations in parallel, wait for them to finish, collect data from them and launch a new batch of parallel simulations based on that data.
Each simulation can easily run on separate servers as they are not communicating after initiation.

If I understood you correctly then this should be possible with Virtual Coach?

In that case I believe that my challenge is to find a good way to make virtual coach run multiple batches of parallel simulations on a number of nodes using the resource manager (MOAB/Torque) - provided I manage to compile the NRP backend on the cluster.

Does this sound feasible?

Thanks in advance
-Jakob