Simulate robot therapy on spasticity upper limb

Hello,

I’m a master’s degree student and I want to do my master thesis on rehabilitation after an stroke.

I’ve thought to use OpenSim to simulate spasticity upper limb and ROS and Gazebo to simulate a robot that will help to do the rehabilitation.

I have no idea if I can do what I want to do with OpenSim and ROS.

Do you think I can do it? What do you suggest me?

Thanks a lot,
Óscar

Dear Oscar,

We have a tutorial for OpenSim (see other thread Proper opensim ros muscle interface usage), but we also have a template experiment that resembles what you want to do. It is called CDP-1. You can browse the templates and filter with CDP-1 and clone one. It features a mouse, the actual robot being only the front limb, with muscles. OpenSim is powering the muscle system and the movement is controlled by a spinal cord implemented in python in transfer functions. So there is no brain running per se. But that might be a starting point for your use case.

Best
Axel

Dear Axel,

Thanks for your answer. I think my problem will be to simulate human brain that reacts to robot rehabilitation. And, at this moment I can figure out how to do it.

Any suggestion?

Best,
Óscar

Hi,

I have another question. You’ve talked about the template CDP-1. I have found the CoDesign Projects page, https://www.humanbrainproject.eu/en/about/project-structure/codesign-projects/, but I’m not sure if it is what you are talking about because there isn’t any references about the templates.

Where can I find those templates?

Thanks.

Dear Oscar,

I’m talking about the experiment templates in the Neurorobotics Platform software. If you installed it, or use it online, there is a tab called “Templates”, wich contains many example experiments that you may clone and customize. CDP1 is one of them (there are 2 variants actually). Clone them and you can investigate how they fit your needs. You can watch the bare experiment files when selecting your clone and clicking the “Files” button.

Best regards
Axel