[SOLVED] Build failure on source install

Hello everyone,
I’m installing NRP on Ubuntu 18.04 following the bitbucket instruction (https://bitbucket.org/hbpneurorobotics/neurorobotics-platform/src/master/).

During the final build step (./update_nrp build all) everything goes well until it reaches the end of the GazeboRosPackages install. This is the terminal output right before the process fails:

Scanning dependencies of target controller_ros_gazebo_icub
Scanning dependencies of target avatar_control_plugin
Scanning dependencies of target gazebo_ros_muscle_interface
[ 97%] Building CXX object gazebo_ros_muscle_interface/CMakeFiles/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface.dir/src/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface.cpp.o
[ 97%] Building CXX object controller_ros_gazebo_icub/CMakeFiles/controller_ros_gazebo_icub.dir/src/controller_ros_gazebo_icub.cpp.o
[ 97%] Building CXX object avatar_control_plugin/CMakeFiles/avatar_control_plugin.dir/src/avatar_control_plugin.cpp.o
[ 97%] Built target gazebo_ros_camera_utils
Scanning dependencies of target gazebo_version_helpers
[ 97%] Building CXX object

Then it throws an error on the gazebo::MuscleInterfacePlugin::MuscleInterfacePlugin():

gazebo_version_helpers/CMakeFiles/gazebo_version_helpers.dir/src/GazeboVersionHelpers.cpp.o
/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/GazeboRosPackages/src/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface/src/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface.cpp: In constructor ‘gazebo::MuscleInterfacePlugin::MuscleInterfacePlugin()’:
/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/GazeboRosPackages/src/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface/src/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface.cpp:21:18: error: ‘make_unique’ is not a member of ‘std’
rosNode = std::make_unique<ros::NodeHandle>("gazebo_muscle_interface"); ^~~~~~~~~~~
/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/GazeboRosPackages/src/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface/src/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface.cpp:21:18: note: suggested alternative: ‘__unique’ rosNode = std::make_unique<ros::NodeHandle>("gazebo_muscle_interface"); ^~~~~~~~~~~ __unique
/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/GazeboRosPackages/src/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface/src/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface.cpp:21:45: error: expected primary-expression before ‘>’ token rosNode = std::make_unique<ros::NodeHandle>("gazebo_muscle_interface"); ^
gazebo_ros_muscle_interface/CMakeFiles/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface.dir/build.make:62: recipe for target 'gazebo_ros_muscle_interface/CMakeFiles/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface.dir/src/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface.cpp.o' failed
make[2]: *** [gazebo_ros_muscle_interface/CMakeFiles/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface.dir/src/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface.cpp.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:11349: recipe for target 'gazebo_ros_muscle_interface/CMakeFiles/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [gazebo_ros_muscle_interface/CMakeFiles/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface.dir/all] Error 2

Makefile:140: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
Invoking "make -j4" failed
GAZEBO_ROSPACKAGES BUILD ERROR

By reading the NRP troubleshooting, I think the issue is that I installed the ros-melodic-desktop-full package since I kept finding apt errors in previous build attempts.
The instructions only tell to make sure the path contains $HOME/.local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/gazebo/, and in my case it does:

CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/GazeboRosPackages/devel:/opt/ros/melodic:/home/nrp/.local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/gazebo/

Can someone help me solving this?

Hi, I would assume the error is coming from this line, and is not related to ros. This error might point to the fact that your compiler is not detecting the latest C++ features. One way to enforce the compiler to try to build the code with the right C++ version is to change the lines 5-14 in $HBP/GazeboRosPackages/src/gazebo_ros_muscle_interface/CMakeLists.txt to the following

include(CheckCXXCompilerFlag)
CHECK_CXX_COMPILER_FLAG("-std=c++14" COMPILER_SUPPORTS_CXX14)
CHECK_CXX_COMPILER_FLAG("-std=c++0x" COMPILER_SUPPORTS_CXX0X)
if(COMPILER_SUPPORTS_CXX14)
    message(STATUS "Compiler supports cxx14")
    set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -std=c++14")
elseif(COMPILER_SUPPORTS_CXX0X)
    message(STATUS "Compiler supports c++0x")
    set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -std=c++0x")
endif()

If this doesn’t build the code, maybe the compiler has to be updated. Let me know if that works else we can further debug.

Best regards,
Manos

Thank you Manos, the fix solved the building issue!

The problem now is in starting the platform; after running cle-nginx and cle-start I get these two error repeatedly:

--- no python application found, check your startup logs for errors ---
--- no python application found, check your startup logs for errors ---
2020-07-20 12:56:46 GMT+0200 Failed to execute request http://localhost:8080/health/errors. ERROR: Error: Status code: 500 Internal Server Error
2020-07-20 12:56:46 GMT+0200 Failed to execute request http://localhost:8080/simulation. ERROR: Error: Status code: 500 Internal Server Error

Where do I find the startup logs?

Sorry I didn’t give you all the information that you needed: the python error in starting the platform is:

*** Operational MODE: threaded ***
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/ExDBackend/hbp_nrp_backend/hbp_nrp_backend/runserver.py”, line 32, in
from hbp_nrp_backend.rest_server import app
File “./hbp_nrp_backend/rest_server/init.py”, line 83, in
from hbp_nrp_backend.rest_server.__SimulationResources import SimulationResources
File “./hbp_nrp_backend/rest_server/__SimulationResources.py”, line 34, in
from hbp_nrp_backend.rest_server.__SimulationControl import _get_simulation_or_abort
File “./hbp_nrp_backend/rest_server/__SimulationControl.py”, line 34, in
from hbp_nrp_commons.bibi_functions import docstring_parameter
File “/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/ExDBackend/hbp_nrp_commons/hbp_nrp_commons/bibi_functions.py”, line 27, in
from hbp_nrp_commons.generated import bibi_api_gen
ImportError: cannot import name bibi_api_gen
unable to load app 0 (mountpoint=’’) (callable not found or import error)
*** no app loaded. going in full dynamic mode ***
dropping root privileges after application loading

By checking other similar topics on the forum, I can confirm to have the /.bashrc set properly (my PYTHONPATH is empty and I added the . $HBP/user-scripts/nrp_variables and . $HBP/user-scripts/nrp_aliases)

If I run echo $PYTHONPATH I get:

/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/retina/build/lib:/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/GazeboRosPackages/devel/lib/python2.7/dist-packages:/opt/ros/melodic/lib/python2.7/dist-packages:/home/nrp/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages:/home/nrp/.local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/python2.7/site-packages:/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/GazeboRosPackages/devel/lib/python2.7/dist-packages:/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/CLE/hbp_nrp_cle:/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/ExperimentControl/hbp_nrp_excontrol:/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/ExperimentControl/hbp_nrp_scxml:/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/ExDBackend/hbp_nrp_backend:/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/ExDBackend/hbp_nrp_cleserver:/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/ExDBackend/hbp_nrp_commons:/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/ExDBackend/hbp_nrp_watchdog:/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/ExDBackend/hbp-flask-restful-swagger-master:/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/VirtualCoach/hbp_nrp_virtual_coach:/home/nrp/Documents/NRP/BrainSimulation/hbp_nrp_distributed_nest

Hi Francesco,

This means that the NRP services didn’t start properly. There should be more logs a bit above in the terminal, could you provide these as well? One think that you can check is whether you added the NRP related lines in your ~/.bashrc file. They should look like:

export HBP=$HOME/Documents/NRP # or wherever you installed the NRP
. $HBP/user-scripts/nrp_variables
. $HBP/user-scripts/nrp_aliases

Hope it helps!

Best,
Manos

Ah ok with the new information, I see that the problem is that the configure part did not work. Could you try the following:

cd $HBP/user-scripts
./configure_nrp

If this works error-free then you should be good to go, else we continue debugging.

Best,
Manos

Thank you very much Manos,
after running ./configure_nrp I was able to start the platform, clone and run a simple experiment and it seems to work like a charm.

Thanks again for the quick replies!

Best regards,
Francesco

that’s good to hear, have fun with the NRP then!

Best,
Manos