[SOLVED] Error starting the simulation


Good evening,

I am running simulations on the NRP (and SpiNNaker) and everything was working until I tried to delete some objects and the simulation unexpectedly timed out. After that I tried launching the same simulation and I was getting this error:

(UnrecognizedContentError(<hbp_nrp_commons.generated.exp_conf_api_gen.ExD_ object at 0x7f4f380fd2d0>, <pyxb.binding.content.AutomatonConfiguration object at 0x7f4f380fdb50>, <pyxb.utils.saxdom.Element object at 0x7f4f3819ca90>, pyxb.utils.utility.Location(None, 23, 2))) (host: spinn-20.cs.man.ac.uk)

Does anyone have an idea what it means? I am thinking that there is a problem related to the fact that I was editing the environment while the simulation timed out and now the configuration is invalid?


Dear Gabija,

Environment modifications are not automatically saved, you’d have to save them manually with a button click. So, I don’t think your edition ruined the environment file. Though, it might be that other experiment file got corrupted for some reason. Can you push your .exc, .bibi and .exd files here? You can find them by selecting your experiment and clicking the “Files” button.

Best regards


Here is a link to the files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BNv-D2ukM3TeQiQYAZhqlPaY7no_ILGa?usp=sharing

However, I have never created/saw/used files with exd extension, nor have I seen them in example experiments, therefore, I zipped .bibi and .exc files. Please tell me if there something else I should attach.


This might help as well (extended error message):
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/spinnaker/.opt/platform_venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1950, in full_dispatch_request
rv = self.dispatch_request()
File “/home/spinnaker/.opt/platform_venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1936, in dispatch_request
return self.view_functionsrule.endpoint
File “/home/spinnaker/.opt/platform_venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flask_restful/init.py”, line 468, in wrapper
resp = resource(*args, **kwargs)
File “/home/spinnaker/.opt/platform_venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flask/views.py”, line 89, in view
return self.dispatch_request(*args, **kwargs)
File “/home/spinnaker/.opt/platform_venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flask_restful/init.py”, line 583, in dispatch_request
resp = meth(*args, **kwargs)
File “./hbp_nrp_backend/rest_server/__SimulationService.py”, line 189, in post
sim.state = “initialized”
File “./hbp_nrp_backend/simulation_control/__Simulation.py”, line 269, in state
File “/home/spinnaker/Documents/NRP/ExDBackend/hbp_nrp_commons/hbp_nrp_commons/simulation_lifecycle.py”, line 181, in accept_command
File “/home/spinnaker/.opt/platform_venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/transitions/extensions/locking.py”, line 22, in trigger
super(LockedEvent, self).trigger(*args, **kwargs)
File “/home/spinnaker/.opt/platform_venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/transitions/core.py”, line 222, in trigger
return self.machine.process(f)
File “/home/spinnaker/.opt/platform_venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/transitions/extensions/locking.py”, line 15, in call
return self.func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/home/spinnaker/.opt/platform_venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/transitions/core.py”, line 526, in process
return trigger()
File “/home/spinnaker/.opt/platform_venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/transitions/core.py”, line 247, in _trigger
if t.execute(event):
File “/home/spinnaker/.opt/platform_venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/transitions/core.py”, line 145, in execute
machine.callback(func, event_data)
File “/home/spinnaker/.opt/platform_venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/transitions/extensions/locking.py”, line 15, in call
return self.func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/home/spinnaker/.opt/platform_venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/transitions/core.py”, line 516, in callback
File “./hbp_nrp_backend/simulation_control/__BackendSimulationLifecycle.py”, line 222, in initialize


I managed to pin down that it is a problem with user-settings.uis file. However, I have not found the solution yet.


Dear Gabija,

So your user-settings file is not in the provided zip, but you can safely empty it manually and if it does not help remove its reference from the .exc file (remove the complete tag … but leave the ending </ns1:ExD> tag!

Try this out.
Best regards,


Thank you for your time and answers, I have created a new experiment and moved the essential files to it and it works. I will look into the problem with the broken experiment sometime, if it happens again with my new simulation. Once again, thank you for your answers.

Best regards
Gabija Bernotaite