Using GPU and NRP

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if there a possibility of using a dedicated GPU for running experiments in the NRP to speed up the processing time.

Any experience with that?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

It depends what you want to speed up. Enabling hardware acceleration on your browser and installing a reasonably recent nvidia driver should accelerate the world simulation.

If you are looking to accelerate the brain simulation I am afraid that Nest is not currently supporting gpu acceleration.

You can use the performance monitor in the platform to determine the bottlenecks.

Regards,
Manos

Hey Manos,

Thanks for your answer.

I was mainly concerned about Nest but I have just checked the performance monitor and the weight is basically divided in 2. The first part for neural simulation and the other half for the world simulation.

The hardware acceleration is already enabled on my browser so for now I guess there is nothing I can do to speed up the process.

Kind regards,

Carlos

if it is still relevant; you can speed up the nest simulation by giving it more threads on the cpu
add
sim.setup(threads=11)
at the beginning of your brain-file after the imports to use in this case 11-threads
Greetings,
Rich